Weeding Materials Policy
Revere Public Library
Revere Public Library’s Weeding Policy will be based on the following criteria. These tenets will be the pillars we use to guide us in refining our collection to meet the ever-changing needs of our patrons and our community.
The three pillars that intersect that will dictate our weeding process shall be the following:
- Items that have not been circulated in the last 3-5 years
- As items fall out of popularity, we shall remove them in order to make room for more relevant and popular materials
- This shall not apply to materials that pertain to local Revere topics, historical materials, award winning fiction/non-fiction, etc. or items that are highly obscure and unavailable elsewhere
- Any damaged items will be removed from collection, regardless of popularity or frequency of circulation (replaced if possible due to high demand or popularity)
- Damage in relation to items include: worn out, ragged, poorly bound, dirty or sticky, scratched (in relation to DVDs or CDs), yellowed, brittle, ripped or cracked.
- Keep in mind that materials that pertain to local Revere topics, historical materials, or highly obscure and unavailable elsewhere should be preserved if at all possible.
Accuracy of Information:
- Items that, over time, now have misleading or out of date information should be weeded and replaced with updated materials with current and relevant information
- Irrelevant items that no longer suit the needs of our changing community should be replaced when applicable
- As with the other pillars above, materials in relation to local Revere topics, historical materials, or highly obscure and unavailable elsewhere should be preserved it at all possible.
- Items that are removed from our collection will be either donated or recycled.